With a population of 1,881 persons, Bonthiralla is located in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. Most of its residents follow Islam and speak Telugu. Almost 90 percent of the households lie below the poverty line. Vegetable vending and bidi-making are two major livelihood options of people living here.
A primary health centre is located 3km from this community. There are four hospitals (three of them private) located 5km away from this community. There are four schools in the vicinity, out of which two are private. A government college is located 5km away from this community.
Most children are engaged in bidi-making along with their parents. Although they go to school, their leisure hours are spent at home making bidi. Magic Bus has been working with parents to change this situation. We have been working in this community since 2014. There are 30 children in our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held twice every week on Saturdays between 3.00 and 4.30pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.