Durga Mandir, Gali No 3, Jasola village is located in south Delhi and has a total population of 400 people. A mixture of Hindi and Haryanvi forms the predominant language here. Daily wage labour is the primary livelihood option. Inadequate drainage and sanitation practices have rendered the people living in this community vulnerable to a host of diseases.
Magic Bus began its interventions in the area in 2011. There are 65 children on our programme here. The main thrust of our programme here is to ensure a cleaner surrounding by involving the community, and raising their awareness on the importance of education.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.