Gnanapuram is located in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. The village is home to a population of 18,880 persons distributed across 4,364 households. Most of the residents speak Telugu and belong to a single social group, Mala. 3, 752 households in the village fall below the poverty line and most of the families are daily wage workers, employed at construction sites.
The nearest primary health centre and a private hospital are approximately 2km from Gnanapuram and the nearest college is nearly 5km away. There are three private schools and two government schools just 1km away from the village.
Magic Bus has been working in the community since 2011 and one of the primary issues we faced is a low attendance of women for parents' meeting due to household responsibilities. Currently, there are 90 children involved in our programme, out of these 43 are girls and 47 are boys.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held every week on Sundays between 4 to 5.30 pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.