With a total population of 2,727 persons, Konidedu is located in rural Panyam cluster of Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. Most of its residents are from the Backward Class of the Boyas. Telugu is the main spoken language. Agriculture is the primary source of income coupled by daily wage work.
As far as connectivity to healthcare is concerned, this community lies 5km away from the nearest primary health centre and a similar distance away from a government hospital. There is a school in the vicinity. However, in order to go to a college, children have to travel a distance of 5km to Panyam town.
Magic Bus began working in this community in 2011. We have 120 children on our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held twice every week on Saturdays from 4.00 to 6.00pm, and on Sundays from 4.00-6.00pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.