Kudba street is located in a slum cluster of Allagada, in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. The total population of this community is 724. Most residents belong to a single community of Reddys, a predominant caste group of Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the main language spoken here.
Petty business, for instance, running roadside stalls is the only livelihood option for people here. There are no primary health centres. A hospital is located half-a-kilometre away. There are two schools in the vicinity – one private and one government.
Magic Bus began its operations in 2011. There are 60 children in our programme here.
Magic Bus sessions are held once every week on Fridays between 4.00 and 5.30pm.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held once every week on Sundays between 4.00 and 5.30pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.