Narela, Pocket-5 and 7, has a population of 9,800 persons. Mostly Hindi-speaking, residents are primarily employed as labourers in local factories. Most of them practice Hinduism as their religion. 28 percent of the households here fall below the poverty line.
Magic Bus has been working in this community since the last five years. Our programme attempts to bring together parents and other stakeholder groups on the importance of education. Before the intervention began, we had registered a large number of dropouts among children. Today, children who come for the programme (200 in number) are all in school and are found to be more regular.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.