Sirigiri Venkata Pales (also known as S.V Palace) is a slum in Nandyal cluster of Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh. The total population of this slum cluster is 783. Inhabitants mainly belong to a single community of the Boyas, who are enlisted as a Backward Class in Andhra Pradesh. Telugu is the spoken language. 94 percent of the households lie below the poverty line.
Most of the inhabitants are construction labourers.
There are no primary health centres near S.V Palace. A hospital is located in the vicinity. So is a government school and a college.
Magic Bus began its interventions here in the year 2011. Since then, our biggest challenge has been to bring children from different caste-groups to the sessions together. Caste-based discrimination is rampant and most parents of upper caste families are not comfortable sending their children to play alongside children from the lower castes. Our attempts have been focussed at overcoming such deep-rooted caste-based prejudices. There are 90 children in our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held once every week on Thursdays from 4.00 to 5.30pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.