Srinagaram village is located in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. It has a population of 851 persons distributed across 200 households. Residents mostly belong to the Other Backward Classes (Kamma). They speak Telugu and practise Hinduism.
A majority of the households here lie below the poverty line. Agriculture is the major source of income. The distance to the nearest primary health centre and hospital is 15kms. This indicates to the sheer distance villagers have to cover in order to access healthcare.
A school is located 100ms from the village. But, children have to travel a distance of 15kms to reach the nearest college.
Magic Bus has been working in this community since 2011. We have 23 children on our programme here.
A few of the areas of behaviour change addressed by Magic Bus volunteers and mentors include:
• Importance of personal and environmental hygiene
• Equal treatment of boys and girls
• Importance of education
• Respect for elders
Sessions are held once every week on Tuesdays between 3.30 and 5.00pm.
Magic Bus Sessions here are divided into three broad parts:
• Warm up: The development goal is introduced using interactive activities
• Main activity: The development goal is reinforced using sports and activities
• Review: A discussion is facilitated to draw parallels to real-life situations and sum up the learning objectives.
Photographs from Magic Bus areas of operation are used for representation only.